Explanation: DC series motor is used in Electric train. They provide a high starting torque. DC series motor is a universal motor that can run on DC as well as on AC. 15.
Which motor is used in the electric train?
AC induction motors
Which type of motor is preferred for traction work?
3. AC Series Motor: Many single phase ac motors have been developed for traction purposes but only compensated series type commutator motor is found to be best suited for traction. Single phase induction motors have been abandoned as they are not capable of developing high starting torque.
Why DC is used in trains?
Direct current, either directly supplied, or converted from AC onboard a train, is the most commonly used. … The equipment in the DC traction system is less costly, lighter, and more efficient than an AC traction system. It also causes no electrical interference with nearby communication lines.”
Are locomotives AC or DC?
All in all, the AC traction locomotive offers about twice the amount of adhesion as a DC unit. Therefore, a modern lightweight AC locomotive such as the RX500 can provide as much or more tractive effort than an old style DC unit like the SW1200 which weighs 60% more.
Which motor is used in tramway?
Mostly DC series motors are used in this system. For trolley buses and tramways, DC compound motors are used where regenerative braking is required. The various operating voltages of DC traction system include 600V, 750 V, 1500V and 3000V.
Which type of motor is used for traction Why?
The motors used are induction or asynchronous motors designed to have characteristics suitable for traction. The speed and torque of the motor are controlled by varying the frequency, voltage and current applied to the stator coils. Motors for a typical locomotive would be in the range 400 to 600 kW.
Which DC motor is preferred for constant speed?
Explanation: Rotary compressor generally demand constant speed operation throughout the load. Sometimes, DC machines are not able to produce constant speed throughout the process hence, synchronous machine is used. 4.
Which starting method is the best method in induction motor?
Starting of an Induction Motor
- Direct on line starter. The direct on line starter method, of an induction motor is simple and economical. …
- Star delta starter. The star delta starter method of starting three phase induction motors is very common and widely used among all the methods. …
- Auto transformer starter.
Which is safer AC or DC?
A.C. is More Dangerous than D.C.
A.C. is said to be four to five times more dangerous than D.C. For one thing, A.C. causes more severe muscular contractions. For another, it stimulates sweating, which lowers the skin resistance.
Why DC is not used in home?
Large transformers are used to run transmission lines at high voltages in order to keep losses to a minimum. But high voltage is dangerous, particularly to life, so bringing it into a house would not be an acceptable risk. … DC arcs do not “quench” as easily (because voltage does not go through zero).
What is more efficient AC or DC?
1. DC power is significantly more energy efficient than AC power. DC motors and appliances have higher efficiency and power to size characteristics. … The greater efficiency resulting from recent developments in DC converter technology allows improvements in electricity delivery over long distances.
Why train engines are not turned off?
Another reason for not turning off diesel train engines, lies in the engine itself. … It is also interesting to know that while diesel locomotives are idling, fuel consumption is more than when the train is moving. This is because, while idling, the batteries are being charged, and the air compression is in operation.
Which current is used in train?
Why is AC preferred over DC?
Hence, the voltage through transmission lines is very high, which reduces the current, which in turn minimizes the energy lost through transmission. This is why alternating current is preferred over direct current for transmitting electricity, as it is much cheaper to change the voltage of an alternating current.