The H-O Racing Specialties "380" Engine was based on a
1958 Pontiac 370CID engine from a local wrecking yard.
It was special ordered by Selden Ruwwe of Bourbon, MO and executed by
Craig Hendrickson and Kern Osterstock in 1975 to drag race in Selden's
1963 Tempest A/FX clone.
Some technical highlights about the H-O Racing "380" pictured above:
- Block was a 1958 370CID bored 0.060" over (4.1225").
- Crankshaft was a stock 1958 370CID (3.5625" stroke) forged unit ground .010/.010.
- Crankshaft main size was stock 2.625".
- Valve springs were Crane with titanium retainers and hardened split locks.
- Cam and rev kit was Crane Cams solid roller.
- Roller rockers were Erson.
- Rocker arms were Norris steel 1.65:1.
- Pushrods were custom length D&D 3/8" diameter chromoly.
- Guideplates were custom 3/8" clearance fabricated by Kern.
- Stud girdle was custom fabricated by Kern Osterstock.
- Timing gear drive was by Pete Jackson.
- Rods were stock length (6.625") Carillo steel H-beam.
- Pistons were custom BRC domed forgings with tapered pins.
- Heads were 1970 RA IV (#722) supplied by Ruwwe and ported by Mullen & Co to H-O specs.
- Intake manifold was a custom built Version 2 aluminum Tunnel Ram. designed by Craig and fabricated by Kern.
- Engine mounts and starter mount were fabricated by Kern to fit a 1963 Tempest.
- RPM redline was 8,300RPM and horsepower was about 720HP @ 7,800RPM.